Men’s R4 Review



With only four games of action in Football NSW League Two Men’s, there was still plenty of drama and goals around the league. 

After a late postponement, our match of the round took us to back to Jensen Park, as Inter Lions surged past Bankstown United in a statement win.

Elsewhere, Macarthur Rams secured a very-late win over Dulwich Hill, Bankstown City resurged against Inner West Hawks and Dunbar Rovers continued its winning ways over Central Coast United.


Match of the Round: Bankstown United FC 1-5 Inter Lions FC

In a much anticipated match-up between two teams with opposing starts to the season, Inter Lions walked away from Jensen Park with a 5-1 victory over Bankstown United.

Ollie Green stole the headlines with an incredible four-goal display to ensure his sides win.

The game opened in a wild affair with the sides trading goals in the opening minutes.

United struggled to keep up with the rampant Inter attack, as the visitors ran away with the game in the early stages of the second half.

Inter opened the scoring in the 5th minute, as some quality work going forward from Owen Duke, setup Ollie Green for his first of the night.

It didn’t take long for the hosts to square the game up, as Dalibor Malesevic left the net bulging, after a notable build-up play from Emilio Martinez.

The goals didn’t stop there, as Inter regained its lead in the 16th minute after Owen Duke finished off a chaotic goal-line scramble.

After three early goals, the sides remained calm on the ball as they began to find their feet after a chaotic start.

Green secured his brace on the eve of halftime as he converted from the penalty spot in the 37th minute.

Inter headed into the break up 3-1, eager to extend its lead and secure its third straight win.

After a dramatic first-half, the sides upped their intensity in the opening period of the game, as United searched for a way back into the game.

Inter matched the intensity and came off as the better of the two sides early in the second half.

Green bagged a well-deserved hattrick on the hour mark, as he neatly placed his effort, found the back of the net.

The scoring continued in the 66th minute when Green popped up again to sensationally find his fourth of the game.

After getting past his defender, Green found himself in a dangerous one-on-one opportunity where he made no mistakes giving his side a four-goal lead.

It was a memorable day for Inter and Green, as he firmly asserted himself amongst the league’s top goal-scorers.

Inter Lions coach, John Theodoropoulos was impressed with his sides performance and hopes the form can continue going forward.

“I was really pleased with the composure and management of our game, the depth of the side has been tested in the last couple of weeks and it’s pleasing to note that the players have responded brilliantly,” he said.

“Bankstown United are a solid and workmanlike team, but we managed to wear them down with strong and purposeful possession,”

“It’s also great to see the younger members of the squad pushing for a place in the starting side, it’s exciting times ahead for Inter.

Bankstown United coach, Scott Belgre noted his disappointment in the result and hopes his players can fight their way through this patch of form.

“It’s been a disappointing start to the season but we need to keep working hard on the training pitch and show some determination and desire to change our current form,” he said.

“We have shown over many years that we are a resilient team, we will bounce back, we will get some key players back from injury this week and that will help boost morale and we will now focus on getting three points against Rydalmere.

“Congratulations to John and his team, they are a well drilled unit with threats across the park and thoroughly deserved the win tonight.”


Macarthur Rams FC 1-0 Dulwich Hill FC 

In a dramatic finish, a ten-men Macarthur Rams side secured a late goal to walk away with another impressive win.

Dulwich were unlucky to have not gone into the break in the lead, as a disallowed goal meant the sides were level at halftime.

After a back-and-forth first half, the game broke open in the second half with both sides throwing caution to the wind, aiming to give the other side its first loss of the season.

Macarthur were dealt a massive in the 73rd minute when Nikola Pintur received his second-yellow, reducing the Rams to ten-men for the final twenty minutes.

With the odds stacked against them, Macarthur pulled away and began to look more potent in attack with a few chances to seal the win.

The hosts had the final say of the game in the dying seconds of injury time, as John Fahmi converted from the spot in what would be the final kick of the game.

Dulwich will feel this game slipped away from them as they failed to convert on the advantage of having an extra player.

Macarthur now move onto a blockbuster clash with Bankstown City, as Dulwich Hill will look to avenge the defeat when they face Inner West Hawks.


Dunbar Rovers FC 3-1 Central Coast United FC 

Dunbar Rovers have continued its formidable start to the season with its third consecutive, win at the expense of Central Coast United.

Dunbar picked up where it left off from last week, with a flurry of goals in the first-half and holding out defensively for another impressive win.

Aram Tayebi opened the scoring in the 5th minute, as the hosts capitalised on the back of some early pressure.

Fox Bengtsson and Reece Berelowitz both bagged goals as Dunbar raced out to a 3-0 half-time lead.

Central Coast founds its grove in the second-half, however they were met by a resilient defence.

With a period of attacking pressure, it finally paid off for United when they were awarded a penalty.

Ben Wrigley sensationally denied the penalty as Dunbar looked certain to hold on for the win.

Geordie Howe netted a late consolation as United were dealt another tough loss.

Dunbar now head into its matchup with Inter Lions full of confidence in a top of the table battle, as Central Coast go on the road to face Gladesville Ryde Magic, eager to get its season back on track


Inner West Hawks FC 1-4 Bankstown City FC

Bankstown City have turned around from the disappointing loss to Canterbury Bankstown, netting four goals to down a resurgent Inner West Hawks.

City entered this match-up with plenty of motivation and played and impressive brand of football.

The visitors looked dominant from corners, with plenty of chances narrowly missing early on.

It was the two defenders who got City on the board from corners, with Daniel Bakrdanikoski and James McKenzie heading the ball in either side of the half.

With a comfortable two-goal lead, captain Nikola Todoroski picked out the top corner with his third goal in as many games.

Mark Younes got the Hawks back on the board minutes later, giving his side a glimmer of hope in a late comeback.

However, Ante Tomic sealed the result with City’s fourth of the night in the 83rd minute.

Bankstown City re-asserted itself amongst the top-sides in League Two with the classy showing, as the Hawks will have to rebuild and try and recapture its form of the last couple of weeks.



Sydney University SFC vs Rydalmere Lions FC

Canterbury Bankstown FC vs Gladesville Ryde Magic

By Football NSW Men’s League Two Writer, Dominic Criniti @DominicCriniti